This collection of Beautiful and Dark Sound Designs will focus primarily on that genre known as Dark Ambient. Dark Ambient is an emotive composition style used to bring an ‘epic quality’ to cinema and gaming.
“If you want to make someone feel emotion, you have to make them let go.
Listening to something is an act of surrender.” (Brian Eno)
The Darker Side
Brian Eno is commonly hailed as the innovator of the Ambient Music style.
The darkest of Eno’s early works is ‘Ambient 4 : On Land’ (1982). It is a collage of electronic and acoustic sounds that creates a mysterious otherworld landscape.
Where Ambient Music is concerned with background textures and soundscapes (oftentimes experimental in style) - Dark Ambient as a genre is characterized by greater diversity of musical form.
- Specificity of mood is paramount.
- That mood is as distinctive as the Night.
- Foreboding, ominous, disturbing.
- Both unseen and unknown.
- Only heard.
Industrial Music, Noise, Ethereal Wave, Black Metal - share a commonality with Dark Ambient which grew out of the heady synthesizer and sampling days of the 1980‘s.
Projects feature an atmospheric use of synthesizers, electric guitar and keyboards. Instrumentation is often loaded with discord, reverb and other effects. Noise, experimental sound, vocals and field recordings provide additional spatial elements.
The Dark Ambient style is featured in many films and games. It is at its best when when portraying post-apocalyptic worlds and puzzling future-scapes.
1. Eraserhead (1977) - Sound Design by Alan Splet
2. Zodiac (2007) - Composed by David Shire
3. Fallout Series - Composed by Inon Zur
4. Oddworld - Strangers Wrath - Composed by Michael Bross
5. Portal - Composed by Kelly Bailey and Mike Morasky
6. Mirror’s Edge - Composed by Magnus Birgersson
7. Doom 3 - Composed by Chris Vrenna of Nine Inch Nails
8. Donnie Darko (2001) - Composed by Michael Andrews
9. Silent Hill - Composed by Akira Yamaoka
10. The Elephant Man (1980) - Main Theme by John Morris
Contact Roundhouse Now!
Book an obligation free consultation to find out more and learn how to leverage mobile technology to grow your opportunities and business revenue.
Get to know Saul Edmonds & Roundhouse
As Creative Director & Roundhouse Founder Saul Edmonds has over 20 years professional design and digital experience.
He is an expert on Brand, Website and App Development. He has worked with clients across all industry groups - including startups, small business, government and entrepreneurs - on projects of all sizes and budgets.
Saul and his team can help you grow your business and discover new possibilities with :
- strategic brand design
- web design & development
- app design and development
- digital marketing
- creative engagement
Saul Edmonds believes that every project begins with a story.
Saul and his team offer a one to one, tailored service - where he works with you closely to develop innovative solutions that will take your business to the next level.
Find out how Saul can help you turn your ideas into reality.
Book an obligation free consultation with Saul Edmonds for ideas and strategies to take your business or project to the next level. Click here to arrange your booking.
Phone : +617 1300 727 749
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Learn about our web design here.
- Learn about our app development here.
- See our brand and logo portfolio here.