“Design is everything. Everything!”
– Paul Rand
How to Design a Great Logo
The following is a list of techniques for designing a memorable logo.
This list works as a guideline for designers to question and compare techniques.
When creating a logo design, employ as many of these techniques as possible to ensure an effective and original logo that works equally well for the designer, the client and the target consumer.
1. The logo must be easily recognised.
2. In black and white the logo should look clear and crisp.
3. The text in the logo needs to be visible in all screen resolutions.
4. The logo should not contain more than three colours.
5. The logo layout or shape must be unique.
6. Never use public clipart in the design.
7. Try to avoid intricate details that can be lost when size is minimised.
8. Create a connection between a logo and the brand or product being represented.
9. Never use a photograph as a logo.
10. Get feedback from target customers.
11. One font works best, two fonts at most.
12. Create a timeless logo design by avoiding current design trends.
13. The mirror image of the logo should still be recognisable.
14. Delete unnecessary clutter.
15. Disregard the opinion of family, friends and coworkers.
16. Ensure your design process is based on discovery.
17. Never steal ideas from other logos and claim as your own.
18. The inverted logo should still be easily recognised.
19. Aim for an original and unique solution.
20. Choose symbol and text to complement each other.
21. Describing the logo should be simple.
22. Refrain from tag lines in the logo design.
23. Pencil ideas on paper before computer use.
24. The best logo is a simple one.
25. Develop a brand centric logo - that represents the brand effectively.
26. Do not create a distracting design.
27. Represent the product or service honestly.
28. Logo design should be visually balanced.
29. Never use neon and bright colours.
30. The logo should fit into a square layout.
31. Avoid unnecessary special effects.
32. Create the logo design so it can be presented well in different medians.
33. Never be weak and dull, design confident and bold.
34. No logo is perfect in design, create the best you can.
35. Sharp business requires sharp lines. Smooth business requires smooth lines.
36. Balance the logo so it aligns left, right, centre, top and bottom.
37. Create an engaging design that stands apart from marketplace competitors.
38. Know your audience before you create a logo.
39. Create with function first, then innovation.
40. The brand name must be the logo if it is memorable.
41. Large companies can have smaller logos.
42. In addition to the business, the public should love the logo design.
43. Create different variations of the logo design so you are sure to get it right.
44. Across many platforms the logo design must look consistent.
45. The logo design should not break any of these rules aforementioned.
Discover the power of beautiful logo design
Do you need a quality logo?
Roundhouse is a leading logo design company with offices in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Queensland. Creative director Saul Edmonds has over 20 years professional logo design experience. Talk to Roundhouse today and learn more about how a great logo design can build your brand and boost your profitability.
Book an obligation free consultation with a qualified designer.
phone : 07 5559 0414 (Gold Coast) phone : 07 3102 3622 (Brisbane)
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Gold Coast : 2a/128 Varsity Parade, Varsity Lakes Gold Coast, Queensland 4227
Learn about our web design services here.
See our portfolio here.
Roundhouse - The Creative Agency
Author - Saul Edmonds
Connect with Roundhouse on Google+ here.